If you are looking for a light, refreshing fruit starter for your next breakfast or brunch, this is one that won’t disappoint. It looks fancy and complicated, but it really isn’t. Using a melon baller, scoop perfect little melon spheres from a ripe cantaloupe and layer it with a whipped coconut cream scented with a tiny bit of cardamom. Top it with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios (for an extra touch, toast them before chopping), and you have a summery dish that will impress as well as taste fabulous.
One of the great things about this dish is you can effortlessly adapt it to a number of dietary constraints. For example, if you need to go vegan, substitute agave nectar or powdered sugar for the honey. To make this low-carb or keto, use your favorite liquid or powdered sugar substitute, such as Swerve (my fav!). You don’t even have to sweeten it, if you don’t want. It’s a matter of personal preference, after all.
Another great variation is to use both honeydew and cantaloupe melon to provide a lovely color mix. Again, make this your own. You can’t go wrong with melon and coconut, after all.
Cantaloupe in Coconut Cardamom Cream
- 1 small cantaloupe or mixed cantaloupe and honeydew melon
- 1 15oz can coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 Tbsp honey (see notes)
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped pistachios, for garnish
For Coconut Cream
- Before beginning recipe prep, chill a 15oz can of coconut cream in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to make dish, scoop hardened coconut cream into a mixing bowl, leaving any clear liquid behind.
- Add cardamom and honey (if using), to coconut cream. Whip with a hand mixture until soft peaks form. Chill in refrigerator until ready to assemble dish.
To Assemble Dish
- Using a melon baller, scoop cantaloupe flesh into a bowl. Refrigerate, if necessary, until cool.
- Remove coconut cream and melon balls from refrigerator. Using a slotted spoon, layer melon balls in the bottom of individual serving dishes. Top with a small scoop of coconut cream. Repeat layers. To garnish, sprinkle chopped pistachios on top of the final dollop of coconut cream. Add a mint sprig for additional garnish, if desired. Serve immediately or place in fridge until ready to serve.