I can’t get past a good pasta sauce. And, I’m positively addicted to spinach so when I get a chance to combine those…and add blue cheese…well, it’s a match made in a bowl. Be sure to add the spinach at the last minute and cook just until wilted to keep the bright green color.
If you don’t like your spinach in large leaves, feel free to use baby spinach or chop it before adding to the sauce. Fresh ground black pepper and a few extra toasted walnuts for garnish with finish your dish. Enjoy!
Blue Cheese Spinach & Toasted Walnut Sauce
- 1 medium onion, peeled, and sliced thinly
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add sliced onion, and sauté until soft, but not browned. If the onion starts to brown too quickly, add some water to slow the cooking.
- Once onion is soft, mix in the flour until well blended,and cook for an additional minute.
- Add crumbled blue cheese and break up any lumps with a spoon. Slowly whisk in the cream until the sauce is smooth and free of lumps. Simmer for a couple of minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add spinach and continue simmering until spinach is just wilted, about 1-3 minutes.
- Reserve some toasted walnuts for garnish, if desired. Stir in remaining walnuts, and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a little water. If it’s too thin, simmer for a few more minutes. Toss with your favorite pasta and serve.