This decadent, creamy sauce it the perfect topper for the perfect steak. It’s also good on a roasted chicken breast. It’s the perfect balance of cream, shallots, chives and blue cheese. I personally think it is fine just eaten with a spoon!
While Gorgonzola is blue cheese variety I would recommend for this sauce, any creamy blue will do. Try experimenting and see which you like best.
Note: This cheese sauce does melt relatively well, but you may find some bits leftover from the shallots and cheese. If you like your sauce totally creamy and smooth with no chunks, pass it though a colander or Chinois to filter out the bits before serving.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced chives or finely sliced green onions Optional
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter (or heat olive oil) and add shallot, cooking for approximately 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until translucent but not browned.
- Add the cream to the saucepan and increase the heat to medium-high. Allow cream to simmer rapidly to reduce, stirring occasionally, approximately 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove cream mixture from heat and add crumbled Gorgonzola, Parmesan, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add chives if desired, or use to garnish finished dish. Serve immediately.